Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Last thoughts on Israel

We just watched the sun set over the Mediteranean from the boardwalk along the beach in Tel Aviv. Sad to be leaving, but I will be happy to be home, of course. And what did I learn today (or the past 2 weeks)? I learned that you have to experience life on someone else's turf to truly understand them and that security in the defense of survival is a necessary sacrifice (something Americans learned in a lesser context after 9/11). This country of amazing landscapes, a legacy for Jews that goes back thousands of years, and probably the most determined people on the planet has taught me so much. Things I didn't write about before include the great physical beauty of the people and their love of fresh, locally grown food (we didn't have a bad meal here....food and wine are appreciated and agriculture is a national pride). As opposed to what I was told before coming here, the people are friendly, gracious and make great attempts to speak English (and laugh at their own mistakes!).

This is a country I hope to come back to at some time, but if I am not able to these memories will stay with me forever. From Tel Aviv to Haifa to Safed to the Golan Heights to Jerusalem to Eilat, this country is a marvel. Tomorrow, home to another marvel.....Provincetown.

No comments:

Post a Comment