Saturday, December 26, 2009

Born in the USA

We have been back from Israel since Thursday night, after a 24 hour trek (thank you, American Eagle, for not having a pilot ready and getting us back 2 hours late, and then losing luggage). The El Al flight was great and the security at Ben Gurion inspired confidence. Lessons learned at airport security: taking shoes off is silly; asking questions again and again is not silly; screening luggage and checking passports more than once is smart. The Israelis have it right and I appreciate that, although time consuming and repetitive, it is safer and wiser to ask questions again and again. I spent part of the flight wondering which passenger was the Mossad agent; my image of Mossad has been affected by the character of Ziva David on NCIS, so I think I wouldn't have guessed it even if the guy/gal was sitting next to me.

Life is getting back to normal: laundry, cats, work on Monday, dinner with friends. I joked today with my traveling companion that I'm starting to save for my next trip to Israel as I put 3 quarters in the change dish on my bookcase. Biggest lesson in all of this for me: do not delay joy, even if you believe, as the Druse do, that you die and come back immediately. If you are called to do something, do it. Life is to short not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment